Thursday, January 19, 2017

Salvaging the roots...

Blessings of the hometown Goddess is mandatory whilst in Kolhapur. This was a quick visit on a Friday noon and it being the day of the Goddess had long queues which meant only 'Mukhdarshana' - say hello from the exteriors. On my way back I spent some time observing these intricate carvings (unfortunately I never did before ) on the exteriors of the temple that left me quite intrigued and led me to the research I did during my last visit to Talakadu temple down south in 2013, another excellent specimen of history. A quick search on these carvings unleashed rich historic references from the Chalukyas to Adi Shankarachrya , Hoysalas and further to Cholas.

While I spend time exploring architectures and monuments in my European travelogue which I reckon as equally enriching that add to my globetrotting experiences; I regret that there's a lot that I have left behind to accumulate - - the roots that I hail from, the rich culture that is manifested in such monuments and the heritage unbeknownst. Rather late than never. While I strive to learn more about the history back home in my spare time, I plan to revisit Khidrapur and Badami temples in the proximity with similar historic settings. #kolhapur #hometownglory #historyenthusiast

PS- Please excuse my vile photography



No comments:

A Stopover at Gretna Green

Reading history and classic literature books have taken me to some of the fantastic places in England and in UK. One such place is Gretna ...